Tuesday, December 13, 2011

1861 Dec[ember] 9 Camp near Fredericksburg

My Dear Father
I received last night, a let-
ter from home – but almost as old as
the hills – it was dated the 18th of last
month – written at Richmond & directed to
Culpeper Court House – a month ago
minus 10 days. I don’t know why
your letters are so long delayed –
You might be more particular in
your direction which would probably
expedite their coming – Say in your
direction ‘Gen. Barksdale’s Brigade’. And
Mr. Laws’ division might be added – this
latter is hardly necessary however.
I have no news to write – Not even a
rumor has disturbed our quiet since
we have been in this neighbourhood.
I only write to tell how often I think
of you all. I wish very much I could
spend a short time at home this
winter – But there is no prospect of a
furlough – we may after a while
go into winter quarters – but that
even is doubtful. It will probably
depend on the enemy’s movements.

[page 2]
I hardly think Burnside will attempt
to attack us in front of our present
position – A change of base would be
very tedious, if nothing more at this
time of the year. Jackson has been
in the neighbor hood nearly a week.
Our army was never in better if as
good fighting order – they are confi-
dent of success should Burnside
attempt to cross or to fight us on an
equal field – All express a desire to
fight now rather than delay till
spring.
What do you think of the
letter of the correspondent of the
London Times written from Rich-
mond – notwithstanding slight inaccu-
racies it will give the Europeans a
good idea of things over here.
Do you think Napoleon will
let the matter drop so quietly
after he has over taken it in
hand? What is the pay of the
office for which Lan is an
expectant? Give my very best
love to Mother, George & all – I hope
soon to get one of your letters which I know
is coming over here. Ever dear father – most
aff. yr. son W. H. Perry, Jr.

[Written in the top margin on page 1:
“Do you know where a good cook, a free negro,
could be had – we want one for our mess – A
good negro even if he were without experience
as a cook would answer – The mess is willing to give
15 or I reckon 20 dollars per month.”

No comments:

Post a Comment