Friday, August 26, 2011

1862 August 26


Dear Mother
Upon opening your letter I found 25
dollars – I have kept it – but only for awhile if
as I anticipate I can do very well without it.
For I can not consent to take thus the proceeds
of your labor. But be assured I appreciate
your kind intention in giving it to me.
I called Friday morning at Mc Kinney &
Duprey’s but they had not heard from you. I
requested a friend to inquire again on Monday
if there was a box for me. He reported it had been
sent to me. I called myself the next day & found the
two notes had been sent to McKinney & D’s which
I indorse: The fellow drove up in a wagon
& got it. I know no such man as [--]
so you see it was a deliberate theft. The

[page 2]
fellow was quick – he got it out the day
it arrived. Was your letter sent by mail? It was
handed me just as it is by Mr. D. having no
envelope. I am quite sorry to lose the contents.
But much more that you should have worked
to so little purpose, & for the benefit of so
consummate a rogue. How the fellow man-
aged to get the note of yours I don’t know.

I am extremely sorry to hear of Richard’s
[this line is in the fold and not discernible]
improve. Write soon. Affectionately yr. son,
W. H. Perry, Jr.

P. S. Tell father that Duprey told me to tell him that
he received three bls. of flourer [flour] from him. It
was injured - sour & was condemned by the
inspector. I saw the [-]. He said he had
not succeeded in selling
it. If there was any molas-
ses he said he could sell
it to make molasses cakes
but there is none.

No comments:

Post a Comment