Tuesday, June 21, 2011

1862 June 21

[The following letter is so faded as to be nearly illegible]


Dear Father
We had by [?] Sunday
a terrible battle. I am
well. Our company had
one killed, 8 or 10 wounded.
Our escape was a mir-
acle. But for [--]
Forbish McGruber [?] we
had yesterday annihilated
a large portion of the
yankee army. I have
an unexpected oppor-
tuniy to write which
does not allow time to
write more – the carrier
I mean will not wait.
We occupied last night
in Battle field, ^ ‘and the’ enemy of
course disappeared during
the night. My fondest love
to all. Ever dearest
father yr. affectionate son
W. H. Perry

W. H. Perry Jr.

I merely write to tell you
our uneasiness. I do
wish you would not
be so about me [--]
before yesterday [--] Long-
street whipped the Yankees
badly; I mean a portion of
them. My very best love to
self and all. We, our army, are
within a few miles of James
river. The rain today is bad
on those who are moving. We,
I mean my company, is lying still
so far to day.

MSS 7786-d

No comments:

Post a Comment