Saturday, April 16, 2011

1862 April 16 Warwick County

My Dear Father,

We left Richmond Saturday
& reached here last Sunday eve-
ning, coming on a boat down
James river. The country ap-
pears almost a wilderness.
Few houses are inhabited
indeed there were very few hous-
es about here. We are about
seven miles from Yorktown.
The line along here runs along
a very small stream. But this
has been dammed up & is
thus made about three
hundred yards wide. Across
this the Yankee pickets are
stationed & firing is constantly
going on between the two
hostile pickets. The army
on one side are lying about

[page 2]
two hundred yards in the rear
of the pickets, Our posi-
tion is the strongest I have
seen--redoubts are thrown
up every 150 or 200 yards for
both infantry & artillery.
The long range artillery of the enemy
will not give him the same
advantage over our short range
pieces which they had in
the mountains. Artillery duel-
ling has been constant along
the line since we came but
our battery has not been in
it. I met Bob Beverly the
other day at a sick camp
we passed on the road; he
said he was going home.
Mr. Watkins told me that
Alick Cralle had gone or
was going home also; but
he said Alick was heartily

[page 3]
tierd of the war & would prob-
ably not return but get a
substitute. I believe he is
now sick; in consequence
of our march. I hhave not re-
ceived a letter very lately--
Direct to Yorktown & I must
take the chances for getting
it from there. The mail
is not now very regular. I
suppose it will improve
as soon as the stir is over.
News papers can not now be
had, but I suppose we get
all the important news.
Things sold higher in Richmond
than I expected--for a very in-
different pr. of gray pants I
had to give 10 dollars & for
an indifferent pr. of shoes
9 dollars. Every thing in Richmond
was quiet & orderly. I saw no

[page 4]
one from the country except
Wm Brag & the two Stokes. From
there of course nothing interest-
ing was to be learned.
It has been quite warm since
I came down here & is still
so; it is not as pleasant a
country as I have been in
since in the army. Mr. Thainter
you know was tryint to get
up a cavalry regiment; he
did not succeed, & came near
not getting up his own com-
pany in consequence. Not more
than 30 of the R.E.[?] cavalry have
reenlisted Mr. Watkins told me.
A gret many of the troops
I have seen since down here
have not reenlisted. Give my
best love to all. And know dear
father I alsways love you as much
as is possible. Yr. affectionate son
W.H. Perry, jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment